Today we celebrate the humble egg with World Egg Day. In honour of the egg, here are 8 reasons why you should include this egg-ceptional food in your diet:
- Eggs are an inexpensive way to add healthy nutrients to your diet.
- They’re good for your eyes – eggs are high in lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that will protect your peepers.
- Eggs contain choline which boost brain health, the nervous system and cardiovascular system.
- Eggs are a source of good protein.
- Starting your day with a healthy egg breakfast helps promote weight loss in obese or overweight men and women.
- Contrary to the previous belief, eggs don’t give you high cholesterol. Eggs are actually low in saturated fats, which are the cause of high cholesterol. In fact they may help improve your cholesterol profile.
- Consuming eggs may help lower your risk of breast cancer.
- Eggs promote healthy hair and nails.
Whether you like them boiled, scrambled, fried, poached or in an omelette, start your day with a healthy egg breakfast or try this courgette omelette for a light and nutritious lunch.