While some of you are still thawing, summer is in full swing in Dubai and it's time to stock up on some grilling and barbecue recipes. A good marinade is a simple and versatile one and this recipe uses some of the most common Mediterranean ingredients such as garlic, lemon, olive oil and oregano. Like good wine it gets better with time, but if you are in a hurry 20 minutes is good enough.
Mediterranean chicken marinade
1.5kg free-range chicken pieces, preferably bone in and skin on
1 lemon, sliced
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 small onion or shallot, peeled and thickly sliced
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place all the chicken pieces to a large Ziploc type food storage bag. Add the remaining ingredients and seal the bag (remove the air from the bag as you seal it).
2. Now you can give your chicken-in-a-bag a little massage, squeezing out those juices from the lemon so that everything gets covered in marinade.
3. Leave it for at least 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator, which ever suits your busy life.
4. Now it's ready to be cooked any way you like:
- Bake 190C / 375F / Gas 5 for about 1 hour, turning once, until golden brown.
- Grill or barbecue for about 30 - 40 minutes or until done to your liking.
- Discard the lemon slices, garlic and onion if you are grilling or barbecuing but you can leave them in if you are baking the chicken.
- To save time, you can marinade everything in a covered baking dish. Remove the cover and pop it straight into a preheated oven.
- Substitute chicken with beef, lamb or pork kebabs, lamb chops, steak, vegetables or fish.
- For fish, marinade for 20 minutes to maximum 1 hour in the refrigerator, but don't leave it overnight otherwise your fish will literally cook in the lemon juice.