Orange olive oil cake
A soft, moist egg free and dairy free bundt cake for afternoon treats or special celebrations.
ORANGE-OLIVE OIL CAKE RECIPE
315g / 3 cups spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
215g / 1 ½ cups coconut sugar
3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
500ml / 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
150ml / 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
1 vanilla pod
Coconut milk, as required
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a bundt pan with coconut oil.
- Place the flour, sugar, soda in a large bowl and mix with a whisk to remove any lumps.
- Pour the remaining ingredients into a small bowl and mix to combine. Then make a well in the flour and pour in the liquid mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. The batter will be quite runny compared to a butter base cake batter.
- Pour into the greased bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Carefully place the cake onto a cake plate and decorate with the vanilla drizzle if using.
- To make the vanilla drizzle, place the icing sugar in a large jug. Carefully slice the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Place into the jug with the icing sugar. Slowly drizzle in enough coconut milk, while mixing with a spoon, until you get a pourable but slightly thick consistency. Drizzle over the cake when it is completely cooled otherwise the icing will melt.
- Decorate with fresh berries.